Monday, June 24, 2024

Old houses day 8 and 9

 York is a very old city, occupied by everybody from Vikings to Romans to Saxons, etc. It has gates and a city wall and plenty of tourist attractions. Saturday as I wandered I came across a market under tents, and bought some cherries and Wensleydale cheese (yes, like in Wallace and Gromit) for dinner. Lots of Harry Potter merch, buskers, homeless, and the occasional friar. I started with the Merchant Adventurer's Hall and then on to the York Castle Museum. I gazed upon the outside of the huge York Minster but did not buy a ticket. At least 5 hours of walking, phew.

The Mickelgate, just down the street from my hotel.
Friar or Obi-Wan?



My knees said no

Indoor Victorian street to house a doctor's collection of things he took in lieu of payment





Mmm, cherries and Wensleydale 
Grape street. It is said that many streets now named "grape" were originally named  "Gropecunt Alley" for the commerce that took place there
York Minster
One more night in York, then to Portsmouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment