Sunday, June 16, 2024

England 2024, or Old Houses

 After years of watching reruns of the UK Antiques Roadshow and making Elizabethan costume accessories, I felt it was time for some first-hand research. Overnight flight from Philadelphia to Heathrow, alas, without sleep. Bonus points to American Airlines for remembering my gluten-free food. Negative points for seat that wouldn't go back.

Arranged by my travel agent, because I'm not taking 40 years of American driving reflexes on British roads, I was driven to my first hotel through much traffic. Part of that was probably due to the parade for the King's birthday. The road we took encapsulated the English tourist experience: we passed the V&A museum, Picadilly Circus, West End theaters. My first nest is The Rookery, made of three original homes.





After I settled in and was about to head out, there was a tremendous roar overhead as three military jets flew over in formation, followed several more times by modern and historic aircraft, and finally a wedge of nine trailing red, white, and blue smoke. Happy birthday, Charlie.

I  took a long walk to explore a little and get food. Near my hotel is this giant cast iron meat market, open only at night.


As I passed St Paul's, the bells were ringing in a continuous cacophony for a good ten minutes, probably birthday tribute. I crossed the Millennium Bridge, famous for having a serious wobble when pedestrians first crossed it, now fixed. Below, mudlarks looked for treasures on the mud flats exposed at low tide. I passed the recreated Globe Theater, got food, and made it back, feeling the lack of sleep.






I spent a good amount of time on my phone toggling between Maps, Find Me Gluten Free, and my itinerary, figuring out the next day - where to eat, what transit to catch and where. Rolled into bed early.


3 comments:

  1. The room is so cool! Except for the flatscreen TV, would have thought I had truly stepped back in time! Sounds like a good first day, even on no sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, Victoria is the anonymous comment….

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im jealous! Looking forward to getting there one day… tell Will and Princess Kate I said hi

    ReplyDelete