Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Old houses, day 4

 On the move today, leaving London for Cambridge. Quick hop on the tube to King's Cross rail station, where I had just enough time to grab a gluten-free chicken and bacon sandwich before heading to platforms 9 & 10. Yes, this is where Harry Potter got on platform 9 3/4 to go to Hogwarts, and I hear there is a simulacrum of that in the station, but I was more concerned with figuring out how to use my QR code ticket and find the train. I ended up on one that was express to Cambridge, enjoying the lush green and flowered landscape. Quick taxi to the Hotel du Vin, and here I am. I have to laugh, the hotel is apparently wine-themed (my room is named Toques et Clochers, which is apparently a French wine competition) and I was comped a drink in their bistro for agreeing to forgo daily cleaning, but I have no interest in alcohol.

While waiting to check in I visited a museum and walked around the area. Lots of bicycles, bars, a board game cafe, very college town. Rowhouses with tiny front gardens. Lichen and soot covered buildings decorated with heads and spires, deep street gutters that could break your axle if you park wrong. The museum held fine specimens of items looted from their original cultures by the colonizing Brits, but displays have been updated to recognize that as something that might not have been very nice.


Described as a "rude vase", with women driving chariots pulled by penises

You can tell which one just cut the cheese.
Deeper than it looks.
Burger joint for tomorrow's lunch


On my walk to dinner at Pho, where almost everything is gluten-free (and also full of chilis, yikes), I saw many young people in gowns and tuxes as for prom. Walking back, one restaurant had a sign about graduation specials and between 10:30 and 11 were loud nearby fireworks, so congrats, kids, go forth into the world. Now to rest up for tomorrow's three hour walking tour.

1 comment: