Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Old houses day 3

 The travel agency set up tickets for the Tower of London, which I visited in 1980, and Westminster Abbey for Monday, neither of which really excited me. But I headed out to the Tower anyway. It was a splendid day to be outside, so even waiting in line was nice. If you want good pictures of the place I'm sure you can find them, but I did get some. I was overexcited about the ravens, unimpressed by the crown jewels display (which I saw in its 1980 format with far fewer other people), and unenthusiastic about the number of steps I had to climb once I got into one tower and then had to keep going through many more. My knees were not thrilled.

Too many steps.
Ew, peasants
Is that a battleship? And an Uber boat
Ravens!
The baboons startled me on my way out of the crown jewels because they are too realistic 
Charlie's new logo up top
Tower bridge
Raven!
Tower and ravens
Ravens!
Beautiful wildflower meadow to view while waiting in line.

When I'd had enough, I considered my options and decided I wanted some things more than Westminster Abbey: fish and chips and the V&A museum. So I blew off the abbey and took the tube to a fish and chips shop that had calamari on the kids' menu, and gluten free. They brought me regular at first, but I caught it immediately and dodged that bullet. Then another tube ride to the museum.

The Victoria and Albert has so many things to see, but I decided to focus on textiles, and take pics as reference for future projects, which I don't expect you to find interesting, but here is a random selection of what caught my eye:









This was funny because there's an ankle deep pool of water, and every kid wanted to splash through it, and every parent was unprepared for a water event that day


Back to the hotel to rest my sore feet, then walked a mile to a gluten-free restaurant, where they asked if I had a reservation. I must have looked sad and hungry, because they let me stay as long as I was out of my seat by 7:15. Enjoyed lamb rump, walked the mile back, and got off my feet and prepared for the next day: check out, and train to Cambridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment