Friday, June 21, 2024

Old houses day 5

My  delightful guide came to meet me at my hotel and explained to me how Cambridge and Oxford universities work, their origins, what a "college" is, and why there were gowns and fireworks (May Balls, although they have moved to June, when each of the colleges celebrates the end of the academic year by putting on whatever celebration they can afford). Most buildings were closed for the summer, but I was happy with gazing at ornamental facades. It amused me that she had a notebook with handwritten notes on things to point out to an American. Pictures in no particular order.


The coat of arms of George Washington's family
The river Cam, and the Mathematical Bridge
A pro-Palestine encampment 
The seat in The Eagle pub where Crick and Watson announced that they had cracked the structure of DNA (omitting to mention the data they stole from Rosalind Franklin. This pub's ceiling and some walls are covered with graffiti from American GIs who were stationed nearby
Plaque on the Cavendish Laboratory where numerous science breakthroughs were made

Students would leap from the gargoyle at top right to the building on the left until someone didn't make it, so now it's forbidden


That's Henry VIII. Over the years students have replaced his scepter with chair legs, bicycle pumps, toilet brush, etc

After lunch I betook myself to the Fitzwilliam Museum and again, just took pictures of cool stuff.
A high percentage of the paintings on display were Biblical subjects, and there's only so many Mary and Child before I lose interest (the number is zero). Christianity comes in and everything else is forbidden, so I relished this girl teasing her cat with a dead mouse.

Subtle.


One of these things is not like the others
My face after forty crucifixion scenes

And just some nice house facades.



Last night in Cambridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment