Friday, May 22, 2015

Food and yarn

Two of my most necessary things.  I have not had as much yarn in my hands as I would have liked in the past week, and due to the braces I have had to eat a little differently than usual, but I won't starve.  I was nearly in yarn withdrawal, though.  Too much going on this week!

My CSA farm started yesterday with the first pickup!  For an individual share I got 2 heads of lettuce and a pound of salad mix (half a pound was plenty), a head of bok choi, and then picked a pint of snap peas, a half pint of strawberries (about 6 berries, as most were huge and weirdly shaped), and bunches of herbs.  And a four-leaf clover.  I managed to lose my farm ID badge before I was done picking.  Tonight I washed and dried all of the lettuce (2 gallon bags, not counting what was eaten yesterday), made roasted potatoes with sage and garlic, and a big stir-fry with the bok choi.  I'm still not sure what to do with the peas (not really a pea fan), but I might cook them until still crisp and make some kind of dipping sauce with peanut butter or tahini.  Or I might forget about them until they rot in the fridge.  Ideas?

At the Trenton Farmer's Market on Spruce Street, Pineland Farms has a location at one of the corners in the center of the market, and they have a CSA.  They had wonderful strawberries last week!  Here's the information:
Pineland Farms, 209 Union Road, Hammonton, NJ 08037,                                                                                                                                        (609) 392-1550  or (609)412-5191
The  pick-up days choices are Sun. 12-2 or Wed., Th., Fri. 10 - 5:30.   Prices are: Family =$650.     Individual =$375.  Thank you Jean, for providing this info!

They have a Facebook page for general information, and you can pick up an application at the farmer's market.  CSA, or community supported agriculture, is a great way for the farmer to make an income that she can be sure of, while you get tons of very fresh food.  

At Yarnworks this week, we had some finished projects!  Two lovely hats - you go, ladies!

Next I want to see some finished socks!

I just checked my neighborhood for my foraged items - the vacant lot is going to be overloaded with wild raspberries in about a week, and the lamb's quarters is just starting to grow.  Like I need more veggies.  But looking forward to the raspberries, and many hours of picking their seeds out of my braces.

No comments:

Post a Comment