Sunday, May 10, 2015

Finishing and farming

The cat blanket, she is finished.  With a little trepidation, I just put it in the wash to soften it up and make sure its recipient will not see it fall apart when they have to wash it.  I expect it to come out fine, but there may be some loose ends to trim if they work loose.  On to the next project!
Selena is not impressed.

Yesterday at Yarnworks we were talking about CSA - community supported agriculture, in which you buy a share of a farm's output for the season.  The shares come in different sizes, usually family or single.  Either way it's often an overwhelming amount of produce, so even though it seems like an expensive outlay up front, you usually get weekly produce from May till November.  If you like fresh, local produce, this is a good way to get it.  I spent $440 for my single share in Honeybrook Organic Farm in Pennington, but I know from previous years that the variety and abundance is worth it over a 20 week season (more or less).  Of course, if the year is dry or rainy and things don't grow well, well, it's the risk of farming.  But I have always gotten more than I can eat, and sometimes have to give some away.  I end up getting things I would never get at a grocery store or farmer's market, and I don't even like vegetables, but knowing how much I paid for it and how much I hate to waste money or food, it forces me to eat what's good for me and try new things.  You can also buy a share and split the cost and the food with someone else.  Just a note, though, much of the food is filthy with good fertile soil, so everything needs washing.

Here is a link to local CSA farms.  The websites usually have a calendar showing what they grow and when it is usually available.  If you want a share you might have to hurry, as some places are selling out.


2 comments:

  1. For a local CSA, try Pinelands Farm, 209 Union Road, Hammonton NJ 08037 and at the Trenton Farmers Market, run by Jude Di Ficcio. Family share =$650, Individual=$375. with pick-up at the Farmers Market on Spruce St.Wed., Thurs., Fri., or Sun. Pick up application at Farm.Mkt. or call (609)392-1550 or (609)412-5191.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I meant to add that one but didn't get to it yet. I always buy things from their stall - they have a great selection.

    ReplyDelete