Saturday, November 14, 2015

Wool, and what is not wool

Just a few links for your entertainment and enlightenment.

First, this for Wovember, which appears to be a British site slightly fanatical about the misuse of the word "wool" when people mean "yarn".  But it has some fun information about other things that can be made into yarn, like milk, lava, and dog hair (especially as a war effort in the 1940s).

Then this, about people who crochet hats that look like Disney princess hair for pediatric cancer patients.  I think if I was a little kid I would definitely prefer these to real hair wigs.

And this, a short video about how self-striping yarn is dyed.  Ingenious.

I have 51 items (or groups of items) finished for the Warm and Fuzzy fundraiser, with just a few thrift-shop pots of crocheted cacti to complete by Dec. 2.  So I'm going to consider that done - ends are woven in, eyes and mouths embroidered, things are blocked and dried and given buttons - and focus on hats for my friend's farm for a while, then after a quick trip to visit the parents, maybe work on some projects for me.  Or for other people for Christmas, and then for me.  That qiviut is waiting.  I'm pretty proud of my output - I averaged an item a week (not counting the Stony Brook Meadows hats), although some took weeks and some took an evening.  People will be donating other things for the auction: homemade pierogies, holiday wreaths, photos, paintings, homebrew beer, and more.  I work with some great people.  And I already have some yarn and many patterns waiting for next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment