Monday, July 13, 2015

Worms of wool

I have acquired some pre-yarn:
Wool.
This is what my friend with the farm got back after sending her raw wool out to be cleaned and processed.  She anticipated receiving yarn back, but this is loose roving.  You can't tell from the picture, but that bag is about 3 feet tall and the ropes of roving are about 2" in diameter, not at all like yarn that's labeled "roving".  We got out some gigunda crochet hooks and knitting needles to see what we could do with it as is, and technically you can crochet it, but it's not optimal (see below).  We could felt it, or braid it, but really it needs to be spun into yarn.  It's soft and doesn't feel itchy, at least.

I tried to knit it, but pulling on it causes it to come apart and I couldn't even cast on.  I tried to twist it before using, by attaching it to a big stick and wrapping the twisted part around the stick, but that's tiring.  I did manage to crochet the start of a hat, but it was thick and used up the twisted stuff too soon. So I tried to crochet with the roving as is, and did manage to make a hat that covered my ears, but it was stiff and about an inch thick and weighed half a pound (like 2 whole skeins of yarn):
The untwisted hat (like a bucket to wear) is on the left, the twisted one on the right, and the unconcerned cat on the far right for scale.

So I found a spinner (ex-husband's wife's sister, how's that for links?) and will send her some to work on.  When I get the yarn back we'll see what we can do with it.

And there's this: the Biohazard socks!
For the fundraiser.  So far they're fun.  See you at the next Yarnworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment