Saturday, June 27, 2015

Healing up

Oh my wool, what a week!  At work we have been doing something new, and although we know how it's supposed to work, there are no guarantees, so I have had to severely focus to get things done.  All of my evenings were full, with not even much time for knitting, but some knitting was accomplished.

On the 17th I had my trigger finger release surgery on my thumb, which went well (as far as I know, I was oblivious).  On the way home, we stopped for takeout food, and I started feeling woozy, so I went outside to sit/lay on the sidewalk so as to not freak out the people waiting inside, and sure enough I passed out.  It did freak out my son, who said I wasn't breathing and had my eyes open, so the next day I checked with my doctor just to make sure it wasn't a seizure.  She said no, but maybe a blood pressure problem from not eating or drinking all day, and she assigned me an EEG and a Holter monitor to check brain and heart.  Still haven't found time to schedule those, but working on it.  I think I react more strongly to the anesthesia than most, because both times I was sleepy and out of it for the rest of the day, even though that's not how it's supposed to work.  I'm okay now.  The hand is still wrapped and will stay so until the stitches come out on the 29th.  Keeping it dry has been the hardest part, so I use those stupid huge flat kitchen gloves at work and at home and let my left hand work harder.

I started knitting 24 hrs after the surgery, as soon as my thumb and forefinger could meet.  I finished one sock from the Vogue pattern that was full of mistakes, and couldn't face the second yet, so I started a hat for a project more likely to give short-term gratification.  The Lauren hat was completed this morning, but blocking will have to wait until I can submerge both hands.  I really need some kind of head-shaped form for blocking and displaying hats.  Or at least a big canteloupe.  Next, maybe another hat, then back to the second sock and the summer sweater.

So far I have picked 4.5 pounds of wild raspberries from the vacant lot, with more berries still ripening up.  Most are frozen to enjoy on next winter's breakfast yogurt.  The CSA farm is providing all of the veggies I could need (considering that I don't even like veggies), but it's some work to keep up with cooking and eating them.  My teeth are too sore for chewing tough lettuce or raw veggies, so soft casseroles full of cheesy goodness are planned.  I may try this zucchini recipe from the Smitten Kitchen blog, with gluten-free pasta of course.  I couldn't chew this week's crockpot pork roast, so I threw some in the food processor and then added it to rice and broccoli with some gluten-free "chicken gravy" mix (no real chicken in there, I'm sure) and some brown mustard - not bad.  And less chewing.  And yet with all this food in the house I still went to two farmer's markets today.  At Pennington I got locally raised bacon and gluten-free cookies, and at the Trenton Farmer's Market I got good Amish hamburger for a nice soft meatloaf, some stuffed grape leaves, fresh basil for the freezer, and some thin-skinned newly dug potatoes (because I can't work the peeler yet and I crave potato salad).

And now I'm going to enjoy my obligation-free weekend.  No work, no meetings, no appointments, just me and the food and the yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment